WordPress is the most demanding and growing Content Management System (CMS) in the world, powering more than 30% of websites worldwide. It is a necessity for you to know how to protect it from malicious attacks, since these attacks can freeze your website, make it inaccessible, and even steal valuable data from it.
Since WordPress is a website building platform, that enables you to create websites without knowing how to code, offering numerous external themes and plugins, it is often a target for cyber crime. There are many ways in which these savage attacks can occur, but the most frequent ones are Brute Force Attacks, Injection Attacks, Penetrating Vulnerable Plugins and Themes, Phishing and Cookie Stealing.
These cyber crimes can cause serious damage to your WordPress website and potentially your business. Starting from performance problems; forcefully injecting malware to accessing sensitive data of your business, which can lead to defrauding customers by using their credit card information.
Even though WordPress developers try to maintain the safety of the platform, you and all users need to take measures into your own hands. A way to do that is knowing how to protect your WordPress from these malicious attacks.
And luckily we are here to help you with the following five tips:
- Install a WordPress Firewall Plugin – In order to block the attacks before they get to your server, you will need a website firewall solution. You can choose from Application Level Firewall and DNS Level Website Firewall.
- Keep your WordPress Updated – Constant updates are significant for security of your WordPress site. Failing to download updates, leaves your website vulnerable to attacks.
- Choose a Good Hosting Company – The threats of various attacks towards your website, like your data being completely erased, are real. Investing in a quality hosting company provides multiple layers of security, while continuously monitoring the network for suspicious activity.
- Use a Strong Password – Often neglected, passwords are a crucial part of protecting your site. If you are using an easy-to-remember password, you need to change it into a more complex password.
- Install a WordPress Backup Solution – Backups are your principal defense against any WordPress attack. They enable restoring your website in case something bad happens.
We understand that taking security measures to protect your WordPress site and maintaining its safety is a significant topic. With this we hope to have saved you valuable time and gave you important tips on how to move forward!
Get in touch with The Horizon and find out what we can do for your WordPress website security!